Re: iPhone app using Lilypond + potential contributions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: iPhone app using Lilypond + potential contributions
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 02:18:06 +0000

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 05:14:36PM -0700, Daniel Grover wrote:
> Lilypond is only used (in conjunction with my own tools) to
> produce pre-rendered files in the app's format.

Yep, no problem whatsoever.  :)

> Additionally, probably 70% of the music is from Mutopia, but the
> converted files are offered under the appropriate licenses and
> attributed to the original authors.

Sounds fine.

> 1) .ly processing code
>
> I wrote the beginnings of a Lilypond parser in Python and a
> pre-processor that performs all the various changes needed to
> get the music to show up nicely in the app.

I assume that you're willing to license this as GPLv3 ?

> 2) MusicXML converter improvements
>
> What I'd like to do is add a bunch of regression tests to the
> existing test suite for musicxml2ly, and then either work on it
> myself, or hire someone to contribute these fixes to the
> Lilypond trunk. What do you think? Is anybody working on this
> now?

Reinhold is the musicxml2ly guy.  More regression tests are
welcome, as long as they're placed in the public domain or are
licensed under GPLv3+ or GNU FDL 1.3+.

Please send a patch which adds the files to
input/regression/musicxml/

Help for patches and devel and whatnot is here:
http://lilypond.org/website/development.html
(in particular, the Contributor's Guide)

> 3) Hosting/mirroring
> If you need anyone to pay for a mirrors/hosting for the Lilypond
> or Mutopia sites, maybe I could help.

Thanks for the offer!  I think lilypond.org is fine at the moment,
but the Mutopia guys might like another mirror.