Re: [frogs] Re: Enhancement request: Termination message for lilypond co

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: [frogs] Re: Enhancement request: Termination message for lilypond compilations
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 07:54:58 -0700 (PDT)

James Lowe wrote:
> So, from a non-Unix user who doesn't really 'know much
> stuff', I'd like to just add that I think it would be a
> nice step to know that the PDF was created, for example
> some earlier versions of Mac OS will not create the PDF if
> it is already open by another App, Windows likewise.

I seem to recall getting some sort of cryptic "permission
denied" error when trying to compile foo.ly while foo.pdf
was still open.  That was usually enough to remind me to
close the pdf, but it wasn't particularly informative.

So I'm not opposed to having some sort of conformation, but
a simple "\nDone.\n" would suffice.  Presumably the return
of the "$" prompt should signal completion as Han-Wen
implies, but of course not every user is at a command
prompt:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-07/msg00678.html

I have vague memories of being confused on Windows, not
using a command line (double-clicking my file icon).  If I
recall, the only output I could find was the resulting log
file, and I often felt under-informed whenever the process
would hang.

- Mark