Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:21:53 +0100

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:14:43PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > There is at least one common chord that uses doubly altered steps: the
> > dim7 chord, which uses a double-flatted 7th., along with a minor thrd
> > and a diminished fifth.  So yes, we do need to allow at least --.  I
> > don't think we need to go more than two deep on the modifiers, do we?
>
> dim7 is double flatted with regard to the major scale, not with regard
> to the normal chord 7 (which is flat already).

It's not obvious to me whether
  c\chord #'(1 7)
should produce "c b" or "c bes".  Musically speaking, I'd look at
the key signature; if it were c major, I would assume it meant
"c b" since "b" is the seventh note of the scale.

This may be a problem for the numeric syntax.  I suppose we could
define each number as being a perfect, major, or minor interval;
users can adjust those intervals with + or - as required.