Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:44:18 -0600

On 4/29/10 3:35 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 05:27:36PM -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>>
> OTOH, most people writing chords just think/say "add a 7th", not
> "add an 11th".  Or rather, when they say "add an 11th", they're
> not talking about semitones.

And when they say "add a 7th", they mean "add a minor 7th".  The only way to
get a major 7th in a chord (as far as I know in my research) is to specify
"major 7th".  So a "dominant 7th" or just "7th" chord is a minor seventh.
The minor major seventh chord has a major 7th, the major seventh chord has a
major seventh, and the augmented major seventh has a major 7th.  All the res
have a minor 7th, except for the diminished seventh, which has (oddly
enough) a diminished 7th, which is flattened relative to the minor 7th and
double flattened relative to the major 7th.

That's how chordmode works right now, IIRC.

Thanks,

Carl