Re: Issue 1067 in lilypond: Postfix syntax for repeats

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Issue 1067 in lilypond: Postfix syntax for repeats
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 06:25:50 -0400

Hi David,

> A musician will encounter multiplicators most likely in the context of
> { R1*20 }

Agreed.

> and that _is_ already strictly incompatible with the idea of a duration
> modification since it _repeats_ the rest mark for every measure.

I'm not sure that's how it works... I personally think of it as a duration
modification -- NOT a repeat -- where Lilypond is smart enough (see also
"Note_heads_completion_engraver") to *display* this modified duration as
multiple MultiMeasureRest objects. And I believe this intuition is supported by
the way that Lilypond collects MultiMeasureRests (with \skipBars).

Cheers,
Kieren.