Re: Issue 1067 in lilypond: Postfix syntax for repeats

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Issue 1067 in lilypond: Postfix syntax for repeats
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 15:41:19 +0200

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Reinhold Kainhofer
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I  don't think this is a good idea with this syntax: How would you explain to
> a new user the difference between the following two:
>
> {c1}*4
> c1*4

That's why I initially suggested using ':' instead of '*'.

Another possibility (but I suspect it would require to fiddle with the
parser a lot more) would be to only allow this shorcut as a prefix:

4 * { music expression }

As I said earlier, I'd personally expect '{ expr } * 4' to multiply
durations by 4, like in LSR snippet #305. Which would be entirely
consistent with what '*' already does -- but not nearly as useful as
what Neil's patch does.

Cheers,
Valentin