Re: issue tracker: new labels?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: issue tracker: new labels?
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 13:23:06 -0400

Hi Graham,

> No.

OK... But [once my dev env is in place, hopefully very soon] I'm not going to
go bumping around the issue tracker looking essentially arbitrarily for things
that I could [read: will] work on, to then be forced to post a bunch of
questions on -devel like "does this require C++", wait for answers, etc. The
frustration of hitting a wall 97 times out of 100 will kill my enthusiasm
before I even get to the 98th one.

I'll simply not look for projects, wait for someone to assign them to me, and
decide whether or not to accept the assignment based on my desire to fix the
issue presented to me.

>> This would make it easier for beginning developers like me to find things I
>> can fix "easily" -- e.g., "Frog or below, no C++".
>
> There's only 7 frog items that might be C++ or scheme-related --
> the Defects and Enhancements.  That's a small enough list that
> people can look through them manually.

There are 389 open issues, and many of them are [probably] easily fixed if you
know a little Scheme -- unfortunately, there's no way to tell that.

> It also takes a fairly advanced developer to be able to accurately
> estimate whether something would need C++ or scheme, and how hard
> the fix would be.  We don't have the resources to do that.

Fair enough.

Cheers,
Kieren.