Re: Outstanding patches

From: Boris Shingarov
Subject: Re: Outstanding patches
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 04:09:00 -0400

Hi Joe,

Could you send me a list of the unreviewed patches that you have on
rietveld? I should have time in the next week or so to review them.

This issue is not so much the patches being "unreviewed" but rather "sitting stuck missing an ingredient like a test case". And this is partly a practical and partly a philosophical issue for us here: as I am trying very hard to explain (in the presentation and many posts on the lists), *my* focus is not advancing LilyPond along its main direction (there already is an excellent team doing that), but taking it to other, orthogonal, dimensions -- such as making it useful to a musicologist preparing a major critical edition. In this work, we have our own limitations which make it very difficult to do proper disciplined software development. Right now, when presented with a technical requirement, I have to take the shortest path to satisfy the requirement *for this book only*. I have very limited time to care if the solution breaks all other books. Not that I have a low code standard, but many times I have to consciously go against my own standards. This exercise going against developer values is deliberate. It has to do with being customer-centric vs software-centric.

If the solution happens to be close enough to being useful for everybody else (this is what I earlier called "10% extra work to get the patch accepted"), I submit the patch for review. But sometimes, "the shortest way" differs from the "proper" say by 500%; these are the patches I classify within the "future work" category.

This is going to change. Hopefully, with the success of the work on the first volume of the book, will be able to launch a project supporting proper mainline LilyPond development.

Now, on to the actual list.  Off the top of my head, there are three.

"Page-spacer gets confused", sits wanting a test case:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.bugs/17443/focus=18865
This issue has a duplicate, "Vertical spacing: over-estimation of markups height", recently reported by Nicolas:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.bugs/18831/focus=18857

"Pure-height of stems", sits wanting a test case:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.bugs/18449/focus=18450

Homogeneous treatment of markup and markup-list things, discussed back in February and again recently:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-02/msg00268.html
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/28717/focus=28813
http://codereview.appspot.com/207105
With this one, the situations is somewhat more complex because I can see the reasons for Nicolas' assessment that the patch makes one markup command behave differently from all other markup commands. I am not yet sure if this is ok or bad. The whole idea of the patch is that a markup command can return either a stencil or a list of stencils, and the code consuming the result, automatically decides on how to deal with what came from the command. If we take this standpoint, then the patch only needs those minor formatting fixes that Carl pointed out. But one could also take Nicolas' standpoint.