Re: How to develop Emacs mode?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: How to develop Emacs mode?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:04:13 -0400

    Nicolas> Several years ago, I used a midi keyboard to enter the notes: one
hand
    Nicolas> on the midi keyboard, and one hand on the computer keyboard, to set
    Nicolas> durations, because I'm a lame keyboard player.  But it turned out
that
    Nicolas> (in my case) that method was not quicker (or practical) than full
computer
    Nicolas> keyboard entry.

I do use that method still.  I find it's not a lot quicker, but is a
bit less error prone, for my purposes.  When I do "relative" entry
from the computer keyboard, I make a lot of octavation errors.

But I agree with David that it needs better intelligence about
enharmonic notes -- if I weren't doing Renaissance music, which has a
lot higher percentage of "white notes" than later styles, I might well
decide that fixing the enharmonics was taking as much time as I was
saving on the octavation errors.

Another thing I'd really like added to this input method is a way to
hear the MIDI notes.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Copyright law has abandoned its reason for being: to encourage
learning and the creation of new works. Instead, its principal
functions now are to preserve existing failed business models, to
suppress new business models and technologies, and to obtain, if
possible, enormous windfall profits from activity that not only causes
no harm, but which is beneficial to copyright owners.

William Patry, in his farewell post on "The Patry Copyright Blog".