Re: bounties

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: bounties
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:22:55 +0200

> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 5:10 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> People try to be editorially neutral, and not suggest any choice of
>> religion like vi, Emacs, whatever.
>
> http://lilypond.org/website/easier-editing.html
>
> "As a general rule, if you are not already familiar with Emacs or Vim,
> then you would probably prefer to use a different editor for writing
> LilyPond input files."
>
> Admittedly, we don't come out and say "Use lilypondtool" vs. "Use
> Frescobaldi", but I think that page is basically what you're hinting
> at.

Not really.  To come back to my example, you say that there _are_ Midi
master controllers that might be more suitable to work with the great
Midi expander the musician is going to be playing than other Midi master
controllers.

You still end up having to teach the "main" tool and additional
completely separate tools with completely separate function that merely
interface into your "main" tool.

"I want to compose, not edit".  Really, focused batch tools have an
acceptance problem that results in people starting out _helpless_.  You
can work a beginning composer through all five or eight Lilypond
manuals, and he'll still not know what he has to do at his computer to
get out a score with a single note in it.

He'll know more or less what his "input" would look like, but not how to
get it into his computer.