Re: bounties

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: bounties
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:01:31 -0400

Hi Joseph,

> it seems there are a bunch of optimizations and improvements
> that would be needed to see Lilypond becoming a serious contender
> on mobile or low-power devices etc.

Agreed -- and I believe that should be a serious short-term objective for the
community.

> I'm speaking purely from the experience of trying to compile
> Valentin's opera on my laptop. :-)

Even my not-so-gigantic pieces (20' quartet, 27' chamber opera) were unwieldy
-- I'm definitely not looking forward to the compilation times for my upcoming
large-scale projects (oratorio and puppet opera).

> one thing I would be interested in is the development of
> 'free/open scholarly urtext editions' -- think Project Gutenberg
> but for music, not just the kind of 'engrave the old Breitköpf
> edition' stuff that you see from random enthusiasts on IMSLP,
> but carefully-prepared expert-scholarship urtext editions
> with well defined editorial guidelines, etc. etc.

Sounds amazing, and definitely part of my Grand Scheme.

> Take the Neue Mozart Ausgabe as an example -- it's available to browse
> free online, but it's _ridiculous_ that this scholarly archive of
> Mozart's texts is still under proprietary lock and key in this day and
> age.  The scholarly and music-professional consequences of having a
> high-quality open archive that anyone can access and derive from are
> fairly profound.
>
> So, if you can persuade Rice to take up that kind of challenge -- kind
> of 'O'Reilly for music publishing' -- you'll have done something rather
> marvellous, IMO.

Wish me luck!  =)
Kieren.