Re: Inconsistent placing of TrillSpanners when not using \stopTrillSpan

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Inconsistent placing of TrillSpanners when not using \stopTrillSpan
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 07:23:42 -0600

On 7/7/10 6:56 AM, "James Lowe" <address@hidden> wrote:

> What I don't understand is why the middle example shows that the second
> trill allows for the 'overlap' but the first and third don't and the
> trills effectively run into each other.

Actually, all 3 work as expected -- the TrillSpanner stops, and a new
TrillSpanner is created.

What you have found is that under some conditions there is a collision
between consecutive TrillSpanners.  I'd suggest that this is a collision
bug, rather than a bug with the TrillSpanner stopping.  And it's probably
caused by the character used to create the spanner having a bounding box
slightly smaller than its ink extent, which allows the characters to stack
nicely without white space between.  (see comment #7 on issue 881
<http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=881> for a description
of how this affected arpeggio collisions with ties)

HTH,

Carl