Re: Typos in English manual

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Typos in English manual
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:07:12 +0200

* Werner LEMBERG wrote on Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 11:34:25AM CEST:

> > I don't like typos, so find attached a patch (against git master) to
> > fix them in the English manual.

> Applied, thanks!

Hi Werner, and wow, quick feedback!

> > If you are interested in more: There are typos in the English part
> > of translated manuals; and I have fixes for spacing and
> > abbreviations.  For example, in texinfo, it is e.g.@: so that there
> > is no extra long space after the period.
>
> Additionally, we want two spaces after a full stop in the source
> documentation files.

But that's nontrivial to grep efficiently for!  ;-)

Ah, well, lemme see what I can do.  However, let's clarify a couple of
points first:

- Do you prefer 'e.g.' over 'eg.' and 'i.e.' over 'ie.', and what about
  'with respect to' over 'wrt.' or 'w.r.t.' or 'wrt'?  FWIW, I prefer the
  first alternative in each case, but can adjust as requested.

- Do you prefer or require (or even dislike) comma rather than space
  after 'e.g.' or 'i.e.'?  Different style manuals have varying opinion
  on this subject, and some people only add comma in some situations.

Cheers,
Ralf