Re: sustainable development in LilyPond

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: sustainable development in LilyPond
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:25:23 +0100

David Kastrup wrote Wednesday, August 04, 2010 11:27 AM

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

1) There is no architectural overview and no program logic manual to
guide new developers through the early stages.
This has the advantage that only experienced and expert
coders able to deduce the design from the source code are
able to contribute significantly, ensuring high quality.

I consider that reverse logic. The problem is that you are likely to have people reinventing the wheel, leading to a loosely connected garden of code written by x, code written by y.... where everybody has his own
ways and subroutines for solving particular subtasks.

Yes; I worded it badly.  I meant, "The only advantage this has
is that ...".  You correctly point out the outweighing
disadvantages.

It was clear, I hope, that I am advocating better documentation,
not less.

Trevor