Re: Need some pointers for engravers.

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Need some pointers for engravers.
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 19:59:14 +0100

On 5 August 2010 19:20, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> now that we have accordion push&pull symbols in Lilypond, I want to use
> them.  Tracking things up and down other articulation code I found that
> its not possible to make the accordion symbols regular articulations
> (the script engraver will only work with symbols named "scripts.*").
> However, it was unlikely that they would work well as normal
> articulations: the bellows symbols should appear left of any scripts or
> fingering columns.  So its likely one should use a separate engraver
> working after the respective others.  There might be special variants
> that are not placed over a note but rather over the bar preceding it
> (directly after any rehearsal marks, I'd guess).

It depends on how you want to include the symbols in existing music;
for example, if you define them as TextScriptEvents, then you could
simply call them as \push and \pull following notes, or create a
context (like Dynamics) to contain a line of symbols attached to
skips.

If you wanted to use an engraver, you'd probably need to think about
sending an event to represent the push/pull, but it ultimately would
end up generating a TextScript.

Cheers,
Neil