Re: woodwind diagram docs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: woodwind diagram docs
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 16:17:42 +0200

> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Mike Solomon <address@hidden> wrote:
>>    I can work on this on September 8 - is this too late?
>
> We will likely have the first alpha of 2.14 before then, which will
> bring more visibility from users, and they might start using the
> current syntax.  It's not the end of the world if you change the
> syntax after the alpha but before the first release candidate.
>
> That said, it is possible (maybe 30% chance?) that we'll have a
> release candidate before Sep 8.  I have no real opinion on what to do
> with the woodwind stuff, other than to state for the record that any
> problems here will not delay the release.

I think I'd like to change the Scheme engraver syntax to use keywords
(which are self-quoting) instead of identifiers.  The idea is that for
specifying a typical engraver, you would not be tempted to use any
quoting mechanism, in particular not backquotes.

I imagine that would make Scheme engravers a bit more accessible to
"normal" users.

Of course, 'keyword is actually shorter to type than #:keyword, but the
latter survives arbitrary levels of evaluation and can be used unchanged
in vectors and/or constants.