Re: Align metronome mark at time signature or first musical element. Fix

From: n . puttock
Subject: Re: Align metronome mark at time signature or first musical element. Fixes #684. (issue1579041)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 22:02:18 +0000

On 2010/08/29 19:54:28, Reinhold wrote:
First, great to see that this feature has finally been implemented and
pushed.
Unfortunately, it seems that it needs some small tweaking, still. The
problem is
that the metronome mark is now placed directly above the key
signature, while
Gardner Read says that it "is aligned over the meter signature, or --
if none is
present -- over the first notational element of the measure, such as
note-heads,
accidentals, repeat signs, and so on." (Gardner Read, p.278)

So, it should never be aligned with the key signature, but rather with
the time
signature or the first element after that... Actually, Gardner Read
shows an
example with a key signature and a metronome mark, where the metronome
mark is
really aligned with the time signature and not with the key
signature...

Hmm, I took that to mean key signature as first notational element, but
checking a few scores at random suggests it to be uncommon.

Unfortunately, I didn't do any tests with key signatures present, but
it's actually worse than you've found: the Metronome_engraver
acknowledges *all* key signatures, including those which will be
suicided later due to break-visibility.  This means that if there's a
key signature present, it hijacks the metronome mark's positioning for a
note at the start of a bar, resulting in its being aligned on the
barline:

\relative c' {
  \key g \major
  % \override Score.MetronomeMark #'break-align-symbols =
#'(time-signature)
  c1
  \tempo Allegro
  c1
}

On a related note, I see now why the Metronome_engraver ignores the
ordering of break-align-symbols: it doesn't acknowledge a BreakAlignment
(since it needs to acknowledge the break-aligned directly).

http://codereview.appspot.com/1579041/