Re: Align metronome mark at time signature or first musical element. Fix

From: n . puttock
Subject: Re: Align metronome mark at time signature or first musical element. Fixes #684. (issue1579041)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 23:27:40 +0000

On 2010/08/29 22:02:18, Neil Puttock wrote:
On 2010/08/29 19:54:28, Reinhold wrote:
> First, great to see that this feature has finally been implemented
and pushed.
> Unfortunately, it seems that it needs some small tweaking, still.
The problem
is
> that the metronome mark is now placed directly above the key
signature, while
> Gardner Read says that it "is aligned over the meter signature, or
-- if none
is
> present -- over the first notational element of the measure, such as
note-heads,
> accidentals, repeat signs, and so on." (Gardner Read, p.278)
>
> So, it should never be aligned with the key signature, but rather
with the
time
> signature or the first element after that... Actually, Gardner Read
shows an
> example with a key signature and a metronome mark, where the
metronome mark is
> really aligned with the time signature and not with the key
signature...

Hmm, I took that to mean key signature as first notational element,
but checking
a few scores at random suggests it to be uncommon.

Unfortunately, I didn't do any tests with key signatures present, but
it's
actually worse than you've found: the Metronome_engraver acknowledges
*all* key
signatures, including those which will be suicided later due to
break-visibility.  This means that if there's a key signature present,
it
hijacks the metronome mark's positioning for a note at the start of a
bar,
resulting in its being aligned on the barline:

\relative c' {
   \key g \major
   % \override Score.MetronomeMark #'break-align-symbols =
#'(time-signature)
   c1
   \tempo Allegro
   c1
}

On a related note, I see now why the Metronome_engraver ignores the
ordering of
break-align-symbols: it doesn't acknowledge a BreakAlignment (since it
needs to
acknowledge the break-aligned directly).

I've posted a fix for all these issues here:

http://codereview.appspot.com/2042043/

http://codereview.appspot.com/1579041/