Re: follow-up to report 22

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: follow-up to report 22
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 10:03:02 +0100

Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> writes:

> And before that, in October/November 2009 there were some mails about
> how to handle someone, who back then didn't really show proper
> behavior.

If you compare how I react to things then and now, you'll find I have
not changed one bit.  Any purported display of proper behavior is not
creditable to an improvement in me.

Whether the responsible change of attitude was not possible to arrange
in a public setting or not, I certainly can't judge.  I consider it
likely that some things might be resolved/improved better in private
communication.

What leaves sort of a bad aftertaste here, I think, is that there is a
semi-official "inner circle" defined by a non-public mailing list that
is for all purposes apparently considered "more private" than the public
lists.

This sort of institutional "people to be trusted" circle rather than an
ad-hoc "people I want to discuss this with in private" selection made on
the spot for the problem at hand (particularly social problems) appears,
hm, too convenient?

> Such things should IMO not be part of a public mailing list, as they
> are really sensitive topics and might harm a person's reputation if
> they are available for the whole world to read in Google etc.

People are more harmed by what they write themselves rather than what
others write about them.