Re: separate log files

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: separate log files
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 20:31:28 +0000

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 05:12:30PM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Some time ago I've made the suggestion to save log messages of
> lilypond during `make all', `make doc', etc. in separate files.  I've
> just discovered that Han-Wen has already implemented a
> -dseparate-log-files option three years ago!
>
> What do you think about activating this by default in lilypond-book
> (and possibly providing an option to disable this)?

If this is a question about our build process (as I believe), then
whether or not it's enabled by default in lilypond-book is
completely separate issue.

For the build process, I would begin by adding it to
make/lilypond-vars.make, line 47 or so (I don't know if those
flags are sorted alphabetically... wait, they're definitely not
sorted that way).  Then I'd try building stuff, and look at where
the log files went.

... that said, I see now that -dseparate-log-files are *already*
used in lysdoc-targets.make.  Which makes sense, because I know
that I've seen tons of .log files in out/lybook-db/

I see this as really being a question about working on the
stepmake infrastructure of lilypond, and/or documenting how this
infrastructure works, where it places log files, what goes into
which log file, etc.  My rule of thumb for this would be to
guestimate the amount of time it _should_ take to clarify the log
file types + locations (2 hours?), then multiply by 10.