Re: separate log files

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: separate log files
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 09:51:16 +0100 (CET)

>> What do you think about activating this by default in lilypond-book
>> (and possibly providing an option to disable this)?
>
> If this is a question about our build process (as I believe), then
> whether or not it's enabled by default in lilypond-book is
> completely separate issue.

It's both.  lilypond-book itself benefits IMHO if logging output is
additionally sent to a file (to be suppressed with a `--quiet'
option).  Similarly, our build process gets much cleaner, especially
if you do a build with `-j3'.  In that case it's a nightmare to find
out the real origin of a problem if stderr is simply redirected to a
file.

> I see this as really being a question about working on the stepmake
> infrastructure of lilypond, and/or documenting how this
> infrastructure works, where it places log files, what goes into
> which log file, etc.  My rule of thumb for this would be to
> guestimate the amount of time it _should_ take to clarify the log
> file types + locations (2 hours?), then multiply by 10.

I take your reply as a `yes, please do so'.  Will have a look.

    Werner