Re: list of policy questions added to Contributor's Guide

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: list of policy questions added to Contributor's Guide
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 14:43:33 +0100

 On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> This stunt of yours has postponed 2.14 for at least a week, and
> eliminated my energy and motivation to work on lilypond.

Them I sorry to hear that, and I strongly hope that it will change in
time. *My* own motivation hasn't been doing so well for the past few
months (in part due to this "something rotten in the State of Denmark"
I was trying to bring to your attention) but of course it matters
infinitely less than you possibly leaving the project. To be honest,
it is somehow moving: I'd never have suspected that a single rant of
mine could have that much impact on you. (And, again: that wasn't the
goal at all.)

> The only
> reason I'm doing anything is that I've announced "10 hours a week" so
> many times that I have some kind of misplaced sense of duty towards
> continuing that.  And since I was already working on _exactly_ what
> you wanted -- getting 2.14 out, organizing and making public
> information about the -hackers list, etc -- I think that your stunt
> was a *very* poor trade.

Well then, rather than taking everything I said as a personal insult,
how about telling me "I understand and share some of your concerns,
and I am precisely working on it; you should be able to see some
improvements on this side within weeks"? That is /not/ what you told
me when I raised this subject privately, that is /not/ what you told
Xavier when you "answered" his email, and finally that is not what you
said when you responded to my public rant in the LilyPond Report.

(Checking your first comment from last week...)

... Wait, that last one isn't entirely true. Among other things, you
did refer to your September email, which I did somehow misread as
"-hackers currently isn't used enough, let's move more discussions to
hackers". That being said, you were so busy feeling insulted and
trying to dismiss everything altogether, that it wasn't that hard to
overlook anything positive you might have to say.

Oh well. There probably are lessons to be learned from all of this;
the thing is, both you and I are frustrated and bitter so now arguably
isn't the time to do so. Let's just hope we can trust each other a bit
more in the future (if at all).

Cheers,
Valentin.