cueDuring and its various settings

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: cueDuring and its various settings
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:35:11 +0100

I'm currently trying to make cue notes much better supported in LilyPond. In
particular, it's not as simple as quoting the notes in a CueVoice. In real
scores, there are several different options to take into account:
-) Transpose the cue notes (usually by an octave, e.g. when quoting a piccolo
   flute), already possible using \transposedCueDuring
-) Add a the proper clef for the quoted instrument (and automatically reset
   the clef to the clef of the quoting instrument)
-) Add a cue instrument name (i.e. an InstrumentSwitch grob) to display the
   quoted instrument name

There might be even more possible options, but these are really needed in my
scores. Since we have 3 different options, which might or might not be needed
in a cued part, we have 8 different combinations of necessary option settings.

If we follow the example of \transposedCueDuring, that will lead to 8
different *cueDuring* function, which I don't think is what we want (see also
naming problems, http://codereview.appspot.com/2726043 ).

So, basically we then need a way to pass various options to the cueDuring
command, but I don't know how to properly design this in proper lilypond
syntax.
In LaTeX, I would use something like
    \cueDuring[clef="treble_8",cueName="Vl.1"]{...} % Uses a cue clef
    \cueDuring[cueName="Vl.1"]{...} % No cue clef, only instrument name
    \cueDuring{...} % no cue clef, instrument name or transposition

I don't think we have anything like this in lilypond currently.

Do you have any idea how to properly add options for the cueDuring command in
LilyPond???

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886