Re: cueDuring and its various settings

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: cueDuring and its various settings
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 20:45:16 +0100

Am Montag, 22. November 2010, um 18:35:01 schrieb David Kastrup:
> That's not particularly pretty.  I think I'd like it better to use
> something like
>
> \tweak #'clef "treble_8" \tweak #'cue-name "Vl.1"
> \cueDuring \transpose c' c { ... }
>
> Namely let \cueDuring produce its own event soaking up tweaks and stuff.

That doesn't work, because \cueDuring is supposed to also work with actual
notes in the quoting voice. E.g.

\cueDuring "Piccolo" #UP { c1 d1 }

should simply add the notes of the piccolo flute (maybe transposed down an
octave, if necessary) in addition to the instrument's notes. This is needed
when cue notes are not meant as a guide when to set in, but rather that
another instrument is supposed to play a possibly missing instrument (e.g. the
Violin plays the flute part if the orchestra does not have any flute).

A further argument against this syntax is that basic functionality should be
available without \tweak (and cue notes from an instrument with a different
clef is really basic functionality for orchestral scores).

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886