Re: 2.14 release, or GOP now (part 2)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: 2.14 release, or GOP now (part 2)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:16:49 +0000

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:04 AM
>
>> I'm willing to try it as an experiment, but I
>> really doubt that having a separate branch would encourage more
>> people to spend more time on critical issues.
>
> It wouldn't, but that wasn't the point of the
> suggestion.  There's a history of new code not
> working quite right due to bugs, oversights, etc
> that only come to light a few weeks later.

That's why the release plan calls for having a release candidate for
two weeks, with no critical issues reported against it, before making
a stable release.  That release candidate would of course be made from
a separate branch, with only translation patches being applied to that
branch.

I'll wait another day for comments in case anybody missed it due to
the savannah list downtime, but I despite my objection, I'll branch
stable/2.14 in the next few days unless anybody speaks heavily against
it.