Re: flex issue when compiling

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: flex issue when compiling
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 11:14:39 +0100 (CET)

> I am working with flex 2.5.35 and I got the following error when compiling on
> my new MacBook Pro (OS X 10.6):
>
> flex -Cfe -p -p -oout/lexer.cc lexer.ll
> lexer.ll:606: multiple <<EOF>> rules for start condition longcomment
> flex: fatal internal error, exec failed
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem?  If so, is there a flag I could
> pass to flex that'll clear this up?  Should I be sending this to the
> flex list?

This is a known problem in the lexer rules; I get the same.  However,
on my GNU/Linux box, using exactly the same version, this causes a
warning only.  You should investigate why this is a fatal error for
you.

    Werner

PS: It is possible to easily fix this problem in lexer.ll, however,
    the fix is very ugly since you must explicitly mention all states
    except `longcomment' (and there isn't an alternative to it).
    IMHO, it's better to stay with this harmless warning.