Re: Hardcoded LP version in *2ly scripts?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Hardcoded LP version in *2ly scripts?
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:59:11 +0000

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 06:59:10AM +0100, James Bailey wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2010, at 5:21 AM, Graham Percival wrote:
> >
> > PS virtually nobody runs "make install", and I certainly wouldn't
> > expect a new contributor to do this.  The only people running
> > "make install" should be linux package creators, and extremely
> > advanced users who are both very familiar with unix software and
>
> Really? I don't consider myself an advanced user, but some reading and a
> little patience and make install works fine for me.
> The INSTALL.txt file says to use make install and make install-doc. Is there
> an easier way?

"the only winning move is not to play".

There is no need for you to "make install" lilypond.  If you're
working on code, you can run lilypond from the build directory
with out/bin/lilypond .  If you're working on docs, look at the
docs in out-www/offline-root/ .

If you're working on a serious composition, then use the latest
official GUB release[*], which will have a relatively-known set of
bugs and (hopefully no) regressions.  Don't use current git master
as the basis for musical stuff -- given the number of regressions
that we've added over the past few months (i.e. more than 0),
you're just asking for trouble (in the form of unexpected musical
output and/or lilypond suddenly not being able to compile your
files after installing a new version).

[*] I should really say "use the latest official stable release",
but I know that nobody's going to listen to me on this point.