Splitting up a multi-measure rest (in the part-combiner)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Splitting up a multi-measure rest (in the part-combiner)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:29:46 +0100

While workign on some real-world score, I ran into another problem with part-
combining that I don't know how to solve:

Sometimes in a part-combined staff, after a multi-measure rest, one of the two
instruments sets in a little earlier than the second one. During that measure,
the second instrument should ideally show a full-measure rest. Unfortunately,
I have no idea how to implement this, as the multi-measure rest of the second
instrument has started way earlier. The ongoing multi-measure rest of the
second instrument simply needs to be split up into two sequences (where the
second is then shown).

A simple example is attached, where in the third measure the second voice
needs to show a full-bar rest...

Any ideas how I might be able to solve this?

Thanks,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886