Updates to bagpipe.ly

From: Sven Axelsson
Subject: Updates to bagpipe.ly
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:35:43 +0100

Hi.

I am the author of the bagpipe.ly mode included in the Lilypond
distribution. I'm sorry I haven't been very visible here the last
several years. I haven't had much user feedback for the bagpipe mode,
although I know there are people out there using it.

However, I have fiddled around with it for my own use, and the last
few days I got great help from the user list to sort out my remaining
spacing problems. Now Lilypond can typeset Scottish bagpipe music
better than anything else.

Maybe it would be a good idea to include the new modifications, now
that the 2.14 release is coming up. I'm not really sure the
modifications I've made will be apporoved though. When the previous
bagpipe.ly was included, Han-Wen was strongly opposed of me doing a
bunch of default tweaks to the score and layout. He wanted those
things to be explicit. Now I'm doing even more by default. I think
this is most convenient, because bagpipe music is never (well, hardly
ever) mixed with other music in the same score.

Perhaps a starting point would be if someone could have a look at what
I'm doing in https://github.com/svenax/bagpipemusic/. The relevant
file is bagpipe_new.ly, and there are lots of examples on how to use
it in the repo as well.

The new mode is not backwards compatible with the old one, so I would
have to include some convert-ly rules if approved. Or perhaps it could
actually be included as bagpipe_new.ly, not replacing the old one.

Thanks a lot.

--
Sven Axelsson