Re: LilyPond speed. Idea for Schikkers list

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: LilyPond speed. Idea for Schikkers list
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 23:55:55 +0000

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:42:11AM +0100, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> 2011/3/9 Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
> > You can easily try this out yourself. Just set ragged-right=##t and
> > set linelength to 100 meters (or something).  You may need to remove
> > some internal sanity checks on distances.
>
> Maybe i should've explained why i ask this question. My idea for
> shikkers list is this: it would show a user only a rough preview of
> music,

This has been proposed a few times in the past, but nobody has yet
seriously investigated it.

I think the first step would be to do exactly what Han-Wen
suggests -- hey, it'll only take 5 minutes!  (assuming that you
choose a very large score to test with?)   If you see a
significant increase, then clearly it's worth investigating more.
But that other investigation will probably require modifying the
C++ code.