Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 21:53:41 +0100

Keith OHara schreef op di 15-03-2011 om 13:24 [-0700]:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 01:50:32 -0700, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:>

> We have input\regression\midi-volume-equaliser.ly; the equalizer is
> still effective, but the values will probably need re-balancing if you
> implemnt dynamics differently.

Ah, okay.

> Using set_instrument() /after/ adding audio_staff to staff_map_[] does
> work.  NotationPlayer is re-assured and plays the midi correctly.

Good, pushed.

> No no.  If we let the temporary Voice use the channel of its Staff
> then midi players give it the sound already set on that channel
> (unless the player is 'confused').  If we map new Voices to new
> channels, midi players sound the new channel as piano, and in the
> current design there is not yet any means to change the instrument, so
> there seems no point in having midiChannelMapping=#'voice.

Well, other than that it's the easiest for midi2ly to recreate
the ly, and using ports looks like a thing that could be easily
supported in midi players like timidity.  To create a new track
for each voice as we do now, still seems a bit like a kludge
to fix MIDI's brokenness.

> > What exactly do you mean by `confused'?
>
> My 'confused' midi-player would revert the channel Piano sound if a
> temporary Voice created a new track sharing the channel with existing
> Voices.  This player would sound all Voices on that channel as Piano.
> Your suggestion to put program changes on these new tracks removes the
> 'confusion'

Ah, okay.  Too bad.

Jan.

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl