Re: Avoid repeats of 'staff-affinity' warning; change text. (issue427805

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Avoid repeats of 'staff-affinity' warning; change text. (issue4278058)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:18:49 -0700

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:06:12 -0700, Joe Neeman <address@hidden> wrote:

Unfortunately, if I protect the assignment to the property with an  if
(!pure), I am letting the page-breaking planning rely on the user-requested
affinities, and then changing them for the page-layout phase.  The boolean
'pure' asks explicitly that we keep the state unchanged, but there was
always an implicit expectation that certain properties are unchanging.

I don't quite understand this comment. The only effect of set_property is to
prevent the warning from being triggered more than once per system. In fact,
the layout would be completely unchanged even if you removed the whole
if(after_affinity > before_affinity) block. So why does it matter if we
condition set_property on something?

In a typical case, the effect is  after->set_property("staff-affinity", DOWN)
and then when get_spacing_spec is called to determine the next spring, working
through the (non)staffs in the system, it will look up the staff affinity we just
set for use as before_affinity, thus the next spring is changed.  The code in the
if(after_affinity>before_affinity) block does change the output for the example
at the head of issue 1555.