Re: Quick way to recreate docs

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Quick way to recreate docs
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 16:58:08 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 8:09 PM

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 07:48:14PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
<address@hidden>
>On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 05:01:00PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
>Off the top of my head, I suspect that this can be done with
> make out=www Documentation/out-www/learning.pdf

I didn't know this command, but if I edit notation.itely (one of the
includes in notation) I then get:

address@hidden:~/lilypond-git/build$ make out=www
Documentation/out-www/notation.pdf
make: Nothing to be done for `Documentation/out-www/notation.pdf'

Ok, what about
 touch Documentation/notation.tely
 make out=www Documentation/out-www/notation.pdf

Surprisingly, I get:

address@hidden:~/lilypond-git/build$ touch Documentation/notation.tely
address@hidden:~/lilypond-git/build$ make out=www Documentation/out-www/notation.pdf
make: Nothing to be done for `Documentation/out-www/notation.pdf'.

I'll have a look at make out=www at some point.

The problem with the docs failing to rebuild when you edit one of
the included is well-known, and is almost certainly another of
these one-line fixes to the build system that requires 3 hours to
write.  :(

And the rest.  I took about 2.5 days sorting out the missing pictures.

>Well, we already have a "skirting" mechanism for doc stuff:
> scripts/auxiliar/doc-section.sh

Yeah - I've used that, but found it awkward to set up and doesn't
(IIRC) give you the full PDF output to check.

Yes, it builds html instead.

*shrug*

I personally prefer to view docs in html, but I have no problem
with people wanting pdf instead.  I'm still a bit hesitant about
adding a script that duplicates existing functionality in the
build system, but OTOH it's not like we're short of disk space or
anything.

OK. To me, the ability to have the whole document compiled and viewable quickly would improve my (very poor) ability to write docs quite a bit.

I've now knocked up a script.  It's run like:

./MakeDocScript.sh essay

to create essay.pdf. It works for all the docs, including contributor and web. Most pdfs take, in total, 10 seconds or so to create fresh. Notation took 70 seconds on my system.

If I was writing docs, I'd want to use this - anyone want to test it?

--
Phil Holmes