Re: Quick way to recreate docs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Quick way to recreate docs
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 12:03:57 -0700

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 04:58:08PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> Surprisingly, I get:
>
> address@hidden:~/lilypond-git/build$ touch Documentation/notation.tely
> address@hidden:~/lilypond-git/build$ make out=www
> Documentation/out-www/notation.pdf
> make: Nothing to be done for `Documentation/out-www/notation.pdf'.

ok, apparently you need to cd into the directory.
  cd build/
  cd Documentation/
  touch ../../Documentation/contributor.texi
  make out=www out-www/contributor-big-page.html

replace with contributor.pdf or contributor/index.html as desired.

Could you investigate this series of commands and stick them in
the CG?

> OK.  To me, the ability to have the whole document compiled and
> viewable quickly would improve my (very poor) ability to write docs
> quite a bit.

Yes, but that already exists in the build system.  It just needs
to be publicized, and maybe have an extra "helper" target in the
docs to automatically take care of the touch, cd, and out-www
part.

> I've now knocked up a script.  It's run like:
> ./MakeDocScript.sh essay
>
> If I was writing docs, I'd want to use this - anyone want to test it?

I think you forgot to attach it?