Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 15:37:52 -0700

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 10:07:05PM +0000, Keith OHara wrote:
> Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold <at> kainhofer.com> writes:
>
> > We shouldn't need to type anything to see the warnings/errors of a compile
> > run.
>
> I agree, and want `make bin` to show me warnings.  I might have been taking
> the proposal too literally.

No, you were not reading it too literally.  The policy is literal;
if cannot be read clearly with literal interpretations, we should
fix that.

All output will be saved to log files.  (I personally would grep
that file to see all/any g++ warnings)

By default, no other output will be displayed on the console
(that includes g+++ warnings)
if a build fails, we **MIGHT** display some portion(s) of log
file(s) which give useful clues about the reason for the failure.
(emphasis added)

The VERBOSE=x environment variable will add more console output.
Precisely how many levels of "x" we use, or what is printed for
each level, is not specified by the policy.

It sounds as though you and Reinhold would like to have a
VERBOSE=1 option that would only print g++ warnings+errors (in
addition to normal output), while IIRC Jan would like to have a
VERBOSE=2 option that would print everything.  I have no quibble
with that.  The exactly number or definition of various VERBOSE
levels is not specified in the policy.

Personally I would much rather direct the output of grep "warning"
to a file, then check that this file is 0 bytes, instead of
looking at my xterm screen.  But if you want stuff there, I have
no quibble as long as that's done with a deliberate VERBOSE=1+
choice.