Re: Ugliness in the Learning Manual

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Ugliness in the Learning Manual
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 11:22:48 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jean-Charles Malahieude" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>; "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2011 10:33 AM

Le 07/08/2011 11:19, Phil Holmes disait :
----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>

On Sat, Aug 06, 2011 at 01:22:54PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
Actually, I've just been looking at this, and your patch almost
solves the problem - *if I change the correct file*. I already have
texinfo installed on my system, and I noticed that when I run it,
part of the output is

(./WarningProb.texi (/usr/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/texinfo.tex

ouch. I guess this is another problem in the build system -- it
doesn't look at the right texinfo.tex when generating a pdf?
Presumably that would affect all the official docs as well.

Could you add this to the issue tracker?

FWIW, on my Fedora where texinfo is installed, and not using external builddir but a local clone, I got on July 31, last make doc logs:

(./usage.texi (/home/jcharles/GIT/Mentors/tex/texinfo.tex
page headings, tables, conditionals, indexing, sectioning, toc, environments,
defuns, macros, cross references, insertions,
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/epsf/epsf.tex
This is `epsf.tex' v2.7.3 <23 July 2005>
) localization, formatting, and turning on texinfo input format.)
(/home/jcharles/GIT/Mentors/tex/txi-de.tex no patterns for ngerman)
(/home/jcharles/GIT/Mentors/Documentation/./out-www/usage.aux) (./macros.texi
(./version.texi) (./common-macros.texi))

I'm about to have a fresh build, and let you know.

Cheers,
Jean-Charles

Good catch, J-C. I was using the exact texi2pdf that make uses, but running from the command line. I get the same as you from make. Checking the texinfo manual, we have:

"If neither of the above locations for these system files suffice for you, you can specify the directories explicitly. For ‘texinfo.tex’, you can do this by writing the complete path for the file after the \input command. Another way, that works for both ‘texinfo.tex’ and ‘texinfo.cnf’ (and any other file TEX might read), is to set the TEXINPUTS environment
variable in your ‘.cshrc’ or ‘.profile’ file."

git grep TEXINPUTS gives:

make/lilypond-vars.make:TEXINPUTS=$(top-src-dir)/tex/::

So we're setting the location of the texinfo.tex file explicitly during make.

Think this makes the issue invalid, but the "feature" is probably worth documenting with other make stuff - Graham?

--
Phil Holmes