Re: GOP-PROP 8: issue priorities (radical update)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 8: issue priorities (radical update)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:48:20 -0700

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:32:01AM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:09 AM
>
> >Using lily-git.tcl and being able to fix it are completely
> >different things.  IIRC the only people who have worked on
> >lily-git.tcl are the original author of it, Carl, and me -- none
> >of these people actually use lily-git.tcl.
>
> I don't believe either you or Carl needs any coercion to fix
> lily-git.tc.

Think of a release as more of a "stamp of approval" and less of
"coercion".

> >Besides, lily-git.tcl is only a small fraction of the things which
> >may stop a contributor from helping out.  If savannah is down,
> >then nobody can push (or pull) anything.
>
> Neither can a release be made anyway.

Technically I could still make a release using a local git repo.

> Don't get me wrong.  Whether we place these issues in a
> critical category or not is hardly a vital decision, but here
> we're talking about deciding Policy.  Policy decisions
> must be based on sound and justifiable arguments, not
> opinion or expediency.  So my concern is that we are not
> following a sufficiently sound approach here.

Completely agreed!  I've taken a stab at this with the "stamp of
approval" concept of a release -- please take a look at the
updated GOP-PROP 8...(probable decision) and let me know what you
think.