Re: Fix uninitialized variables when Source_file::get_counts returns ear

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Fix uninitialized variables when Source_file::get_counts returns early due to !contains (pos_str0) (issue 4940047)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 23:42:25 -0400

On 2011-08-24, at 09:25 , David Kastrup wrote:

> Modern compilers pay very little attention to how you arrange the source
> code of equivalent constructs.

My experience trying to finagle optimized code out of gcc was more than a year
ago, and the compiler was probably a bit older than that (not much though--I
remember it was upgraded shortly before I was given the assignment).

I see in the documentation for gcc 4.7.0 that by default it tries to guess the
probability of branching, so it seems you are right about 'modern' compilers
(one of them anyway).  What a difference a few years makes.

Thanks for the lesson,
--
Dan