Re: Adds a site search to website and improves docsearch(issue4894053)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Adds a site search to website and improves docsearch(issue4894053)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:10:35 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 1:30 AM

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 04:03:10PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
>6. run
> make -f ../make/website.make WEBSITE_ONLY_BUILD=1 \
>   TOP_SRC_DIR=$HOME/src/lilypond/ \
>   TEXI2HTML_PROGRAM=texi2html \
>   website

Can't make this work.  $HOME/src/lilypond doesn't exist on my
system. Thinking about this as I type, I wonder if this is because I
don't have an installed version of lilypond?

Nope.  In the interests of teaching you to fish, I'll throw out a
few questions here.
- does the name TOP_SRC_DIR mean (or imply) anything to you?

From the naming, I'd presume it is the directory that contains all the
source files. For a standard git set up, I'd assume it would be $HOME/lilypond-git

- how is the variable TOP_SRC_DIR used inside website.make ?

If we're doing a website-only build, it's defined as:

 TOP_SRC_DIR=$(HOME)/lilypond/lilypond-git
 top-src-dir=$(TOP_SRC_DIR)

I obviously don't have $(HOME)/lilypond/lilypond-git but I believe that's irrelevant since we defined TOP_SRC_DIR before calling make, and this overrides the definition inside make. So

TOP_SRC_DIR=$HOME/src/lilypond/

If I look at $HOME/src I only have /git-cl, so TOP_SRC_DIR does not exist for me.

- what do you think TOP_SRC_DIR should be when you do this inside
 lilydev.  (hint: I'm not on lilydev, and I have a non-standard
 setup)

The make call barfs with this:

python /home/phil/lilypond/trusted-scripts/create-version-itexi.py /home/phil/src/lilypond/ > out-website/version.itexi
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/phil/lilypond/trusted-scripts/create-version-itexi.py", line 45, in <module>
   version_contents = open(version_file_path).readlines()
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/phil/src/lilypond/VERSION'

In create-version-itexi.py:
version_file_path = os.path.join(topDir, "VERSION")

topDir = sys.argv[1]

and argv[1] = /home/phil/src/lilypond/ , which comes from website.make:

$(CREATE_VERSION) $(top-src-dir) > $(OUT)/version.itexi

So on my system I've clearly got a problem that TOP_SRC_DIR=$HOME/src/lilypond/ which doesn't exist. My problem is that I don't know where VERSION is expected to exist in this build mechanism.

--
Phil Holmes