Re: Make doc broken - 1d9a73b13ee576d28c0f41f5b243f2ebb1ff9fcf

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Make doc broken - 1d9a73b13ee576d28c0f41f5b243f2ebb1ff9fcf
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 05:10:37 +0100

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 08:18:39PM +0100, Peekay Ex wrote:
> I think 1d9a73b13ee576d28c0f41f5b243f2ebb1ff9fcf is the checkin that
> breaks make doc.

It's a good thing that I looked at this at 5am, because upon
examining the commit I unleashed a loud obscenity.  I use the word
"mao" in real life as well as online; I can count the number of
times that I've used a curse word within hearing of anybody else
on one hand.

Mike, please examine the fix carefully:
  a6a3f2bfa82f7c9e8f7b153a4cb649beaef80c16

In the future, please push to the dev/staging branch.  I'm not
asking you to check the compilation yourself, nor am I asking you
to refrain from making "simple" "last-minute" "fixes".  But
there's been too many (i.e. more than 1 per year) little problems
like this.

dev/staging will be merged with master at least once every 24
hours[1] as long as it
compiles.  Furthermore, I pledge that I will *always* merge from
dev/staging (if it compiles) before making a release.  So it
really adds no significant delay to getting your bugfixes+features
in the hands of users.

[1] possibly once every 12, 8, or 4 hours, depending on whether
people with powerful computers want to leave their computers
running overnight, and/or if we could coordinate timing with
people in different time zones -- we could have each person run it
every 24 hours, but if we stagger it between 3 or 4 people we
could get great coverage.