Re: Make doc broken - 1d9a73b13ee576d28c0f41f5b243f2ebb1ff9fcf

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Make doc broken - 1d9a73b13ee576d28c0f41f5b243f2ebb1ff9fcf
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 10:55:52 +0200

On Oct 22, 2011, at 6:10 AM, Graham Percival wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 08:18:39PM +0100, Peekay Ex wrote:
>> I think 1d9a73b13ee576d28c0f41f5b243f2ebb1ff9fcf is the checkin that
>> breaks make doc.
>
> It's a good thing that I looked at this at 5am, because upon
> examining the commit I unleashed a loud obscenity.  I use the word
> "mao" in real life as well as online; I can count the number of
> times that I've used a curse word within hearing of anybody else
> on one hand.
>
> Mike, please examine the fix carefully:
>  a6a3f2bfa82f7c9e8f7b153a4cb649beaef80c16
>
> In the future, please push to the dev/staging branch.  I'm not
> asking you to check the compilation yourself, nor am I asking you
> to refrain from making "simple" "last-minute" "fixes".  But
> there's been too many (i.e. more than 1 per year) little problems
> like this.
>
> dev/staging will be merged with master at least once every 24
> hours[1] as long as it
> compiles.  Furthermore, I pledge that I will *always* merge from
> dev/staging (if it compiles) before making a release.  So it
> really adds no significant delay to getting your bugfixes+features
> in the hands of users.
>
> [1] possibly once every 12, 8, or 4 hours, depending on whether
> people with powerful computers want to leave their computers
> running overnight, and/or if we could coordinate timing with
> people in different time zones -- we could have each person run it
> every 24 hours, but if we stagger it between 3 or 4 people we
> could get great coverage.
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham

Hey all,

Sorry for the breakage - I'll fix it this afternoon.
Thanks for the reminder about dev/staging - I had forgotten about it, and it is
true that this would avoid unexpected crashes.

Could you point me to the place in the CG with instructions about how to push
to dev/staging and/or give me instructions for how to do that via email?

Cheers,
MS