Re: [translations] Re: CG 5.8.3: updating committish of lsr snippets

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: [translations] Re: CG 5.8.3: updating committish of lsr snippets
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 10:17:16 +0200

2011/10/23 Federico Bruni <address@hidden>:
> I've almost gave up here.
> I don't have skills nor time to spend on this issue, sorry.

I understand it.  It is probably my fault, to be unable of explaining
it more clearly. _I_ am sorry.

> The attached patch fixes the bad object error.
> I have no idea if it's correct and how the updating of .texidoc files works.
> make check-translation still looks weird to me, but I won't care for now....
>

> What I've done
> =========
>
> Which is the committish that I should have used in my .texidoc files when I
> committed them?
> The answer should be: the commit id (my commit) of the makelsr that
> processed them. Right?

Right.  Use your commit, don't look for another old commit.

> So, I checked the log of each file in Documentation/snippets.

Mmm... the commit that appears in the log of a texidoc file is NOT the
commit of the latest makelsr run which was made from that texidoc
udpate.  You edit the texidoc, then run makelsr, this will make
changes to Documentation/snippets with your new strings, commit this
and that is the commit you should put in your texidocs.

> I noticed that most of them had this committish (c3b51...), so I substitued
> the bad object:
>
> sed -i
> 's/514674cb00c18629242dfcde0c1a4976758adc56/c3b519f0dd5ff0f8ccfc9a39ed1fe8df8b43741c/g'
> *.texidoc
>
> Then I fixed the few files that are related to a different committish.
> This is the final committish situation in Documentation/it/texidocs:

I will apply it [when at home] and let's see.

I think that as long as the docs compile, your translations are there
and up to date, and we have not too many warnings, it is enough
headache for a translator what you have done.  Remember that a
so-called fatal error caused by a bad object is not really fatal. It
only means that you will not be able to track this file's recent
history in an easy way.

If you eventually reach an acceptable status in your texidoc
committishes, you'll find that doing a frequent "makelsr + commit +
retouch texidoc committishes" sequence is something you can get used
to and worries will become fewer and smaller with time.

Thanks for your time.
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com