Re: Fixes slope errors from incorrect X extents in Beam::print. (issue 5

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Fixes slope errors from incorrect X extents in Beam::print. (issue 5293060)
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 10:14:59 +0100

Hey all,

I've decided to pull my patch for issue 1986 off the current countdown.  After incorporating Keith's suggestions and moving the calculations for a beam's concaveness into Beam_scoring_problem, the patch has changed significantly enough from yesterday to merit a new countdown.

With these additional changes there are no differences from the previous regtest comparisons save beam-broken-classic.ly, where strict-prolongation is more accurate (before, errors in the concaveness calculation led to slight slope discrepancies for strict-prolongation when the slope was flat).

Lastly, there is one regtest change that's been bothering me, and I want to get feedback on it before i push the patch.  It is in chord-tremolo.ly (see attached).

The shorter stem in the 1/4 bar doesn't bother me (I actually prefer it, but then again, I know nothing about classical typesetting and don't have access to any of the canonical texts), but it is not consistent with respect to the 2/4 and 3/4 versions.  This comes from the fact that the 1/4 version doesn't link up with the stem and thus has a shorter x_span_ than its 2/3 and 3/4 sistren.  The fix is easy (something like x_span_ = max (x_span_, distance_between_normal_stems);), but I first want to make sure that this is the right move to make.  Specifically, if Ross, Reed, or Gould have anything to say, please let me know!

Cheers,
MS