Retiring unused syntax

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Retiring unused syntax
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 16:42:50 +0100

Hi,

I am just wondering about string concatenation: in the syntactic class
of scalar, this is available as "a"+"b" (and mentioned in very ancient
CHANGES files).

As far as I can see, this feature is totally unused in the current tree.
In fact, there are warts like #(ly:export (string-append ... in order to
code around the missing knowledge of this operator.

Now I have some ideas how I can make things like those operators work
even in optional arguments.

But it complicates things, and I would prefer to do the next iteration
of my syntactic changes without that complication.

And just silently drop string concatenation from the available feature
set for now.  I'll be open to rejuvenating it at a later point of time
(when its implementation will better fit into the general scheme of
things), but currently it appears to be all of totally unused, unknown,
and undocumented.  And it does not seem in desperate enough need to have
people ask for it and have somebody point out it already exists.