Re: Retiring unused syntax

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Retiring unused syntax
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 00:05:45 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> I am just wondering about string concatenation: in the syntactic
>> class of scalar, this is available as "a"+"b" (and mentioned in very
>> ancient CHANGES files).  [...]
>>
>> And just silently drop string concatenation from the available
>> feature set for now.
>
> +1

Having tricky times anyway since

mylyrics = \lyricmode {
  \tempo "Allegro"
  ly -- ric ly -- ric
}

in note-names-context.ly is biting me (and frankly, my recent proposed
changes to \mark would behave similarly in lyricmode, so I have just
been lucky that the regtests don't contain marks in regtests).

"Allegro" is a valid lyrics event, and in lyricmode, a "universal"
function argument of type "scheme?" gets accepted as a lyrics event.  So
either I need to define a predicate "scalar?" rejecting lyrics events
(in which case the patch will fish out the string/markup from the lyrics
event and try feeding that to the function), or I let more fine-grained
distinctions in, and let "Allegro" be tried as both string and lyric
event, and if the predicate accepts both, then I pick "string" if not
followed by a duration, "lyrics" otherwise.

That would do the right thing in case of property operations as
well.  Complexity, complexity.