Re: git cl config question

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: git cl config question
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 16:15:26 +0100

Adam Spiers <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 02:56:19PM +0000, Adam Spiers wrote:
>>> What should I provide as the Tree status and ViewVC URLs to git cl
>>> config?  The CG says "If you do not understand any question, just
>>> answer with a newline (CR)" but presumably if I leave these blank then
>>> I'll miss out on some functionality?
>>
>> No clue.  I've always omitted them, and I haven't noticed any
>> missing functionality -- but then again, I'm not at all demanding
>> in my git usage.
>
> OK, thanks.  Next question - any ideas what's going on here?
>
> $ git cl upload origin/dev/staging
>  scripts/build/output-distance.py |   65 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
> Waiting for Emacs...
> No output from ['hg', 'parent', '-q']
>
> Also, please let me know if I'm incorrectly assuming I should be using
> dev/staging as the reference branch rather than master.

You use as reference branch whatever you have based your work on.  If
you expect your work to be shortlived before getting it accepted, basing
on dev/staging might be easiest to do.  But dev/staging is expected to
be rebased frequently, possibly taking out patches that turned out
wrong.  If you need to rebase a long-running branch often on
dev/staging, that might be a nuisance.  Also, your rebase will _not_
take out patches that were removed from dev/staging, so there is some
change that you'll accidentally commit them again.

So the safe way is to base off master, and only rebase to dev/staging
when you actually push to it, and maybe even do that in a detached head,
keeping your development branch based on master.