Re: Caches pure translations for full score. (issue 5349043)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Caches pure translations for full score. (issue 5349043)
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 11:04:18 -0700

On Nov 5, 2011, at 9:43 AM, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> address@hidden wrote Saturday, November 05, 2011 3:45 PM
>

>> Just tried this out on a real score - the 4th movement of the Eroica on
>> mutopia.
>>
>> CURRENT MASTER
>>
>> real 4m30.352s
>> user 4m21.088s
>>
>> WITH PATCH
>>
>> real 2m4.457s
>> user 2m0.148s
>>
>> w00t!
>
> W00t indeed!  That's some improvement!
>
> (I don't know how well that translates from the Yorkshire expression when
> written out - it means "That's a tremendous improvement!", expressed with
> surprised admiration. :)
>
> Getting a 10% improvement in speed would be remarkable; getting a speed-up of
> 125% is incredible!
>
> Trevor

Thanks!  I haven't done exhaustive testing, but I'm guessing that the +100% is
a best-case scenario that only applies to large scores with several
VerticalAxisGroups.  I tried it on a few page long snippets w/ one system and
it shaves off around 0.03 seconds from a 1.5 second compilation.

Vive l'optimisation,
~Mike