Re: weirdness in partcombine in current master

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: weirdness in partcombine in current master
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 23:57:47 +0100

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> I tried to compile Keith's version of Dvorak's 9th and I got a lot of:
>
> <string>:2:55: error: syntax error, unexpected MUSIC_IDENTIFIER,
> expecting TONICNAME_PITCH or NOTENAME_PITCH or PITCH_IDENTIFIER
>       \transposedCueDuring \lilyvartmpbg #lilyvartmpbh
>
> This is both before and after running convert-ly.
>
> Any ideas as to what may be the cause?

A music function that takes a music argument and passes it via $
construct to a #{ ... #} construct calling \transposedCueDuring with it.
But instead of taking a music argument which it painfully picks apart in
order to find the pitch, \transposedCueDuring nowadays expects an actual
pitch.

The solution is to change the respective music function and let it take
a ly:pitch? argument instead of a ly:music? argument when it actually
wants a pitch.

Before we had ly:pitch? arguments, music _looking_ like a pitch was used
as a poor man's replacement for it.  You could write

\transposedCueDuring voc #UP c'4. { ... } and the 4. was ignored.
Totally ugly.  Or \transposedCueDuring voc #UP <c'>4 ...  And the code
needed to get written to actually deal with that.

I'll defend this as an improvement any time, but I don't see how one
could automatically rewrite the problematic function.