Re: Verifying patches pushed to staging

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Verifying patches pushed to staging
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 12:05:29 +0100

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> Where there is a patch, and no simple way to use LP functionality to
> check that it has been implemented, we check that the patch has been
> pushed from the committish and mark the issue as verified.  When it's
> pushed to staging, I believe we shouldn't do that, since it's not in
> master and could be pulled.  However, I don't think we would see the
> committish for the push to master.
>
> How would we verify in this situation?

I don't know the policies and how a committish gets involved.  I just
want to add the information that the commit id under which a patch gets
pushed to dev/staging is retained when master is fast-forwarded to
dev/staging and no part of dev/staging before the patch is rebased or
rewritten.  A patch may change its commit id while it is sitting in
dev/staging (if a preceding patch gets thrown out or replaced), and it
will change its commit id whenever dev/staging needs to get rebased
because of a direct push to master.  But if everything goes straight and
through dev/staging, the commit id will be the same after acceptance
into master.