Re: Verifying patches pushed to staging

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Verifying patches pushed to staging
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 11:09:26 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2011 11:05 AM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

Where there is a patch, and no simple way to use LP functionality to
check that it has been implemented, we check that the patch has been
pushed from the committish and mark the issue as verified.  When it's
pushed to staging, I believe we shouldn't do that, since it's not in
master and could be pulled.  However, I don't think we would see the
committish for the push to master.

How would we verify in this situation?

I don't know the policies and how a committish gets involved.  I just
want to add the information that the commit id under which a patch gets
pushed to dev/staging is retained when master is fast-forwarded to
dev/staging and no part of dev/staging before the patch is rebased or
rewritten.  A patch may change its commit id while it is sitting in
dev/staging (if a preceding patch gets thrown out or replaced), and it
will change its commit id whenever dev/staging needs to get rebased
because of a direct push to master.  But if everything goes straight and
through dev/staging, the commit id will be the same after acceptance
into master.

So if I go to, for example, http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commitdiff;h=5da569aedb8a0bfa8e622d7ab8d04a3adbd8be40 how would I tell whether that's in staging or master?

--
Phil Holmes